Hi, I'm Andrew. I like hiking, bike touring, growing vegetables, birds, tinkering with computers, home automation, breaking things, and fixing things. I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota with my wife and son. Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I taught high school chemistry and biology for 11 years before going back to school to pursue a second career in medicine. I started this site to share some of the curriculum materials and teaching resources I developed in the hope that other teachers and students can put them to good use. There are numerous evidence-supported benefits to students of the blended assessment system I developed, but how can it help teachers?
- I never grade papers at home.
- I have plenty of time during the work day to set up labs, so I almost never have to stay late.
- I spend lots of time with my friends and family, even during the school year.
- I don't have to police for cheating because every student has a different version of the assessment.
- I still have time to provide individualized tutoring outside of class to students that ask for it.
- I don't have to waste time making copies, clearing paper jams, printing extras for students who lose papers, etc.
- I can assess student work without lugging around piles of papers.
- I don't have to deal with students losing their papers.
- Creating makeup and retake versions of quizzes and tests is automatic and consumes no time.
Teaching is hard. I hope my online assessment resources can help make it easier.
M.D. University of Minnesota Medical School (in progress, class of 2023)
M.Ed., Science Education. University of Minnesota College of Education & Human Development, 2012
B.S., Biology. University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences, 2005 (minors: Chemistry, Political Science)
Minnesota Department of Education License
Chemistry, Life Sciences, Science 5-8 (file folder number 443170)
8/2018 - 6/2019 Science Teacher, Nova Classical Academy, St. Paul, MN
- Chemistry and 7th grade integrated science
11/2013 – 6/2018 Science Teacher, Thomas Edison High School, Minneapolis, MN
- IB Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science
- Improved average IB exam scores by 60% above historic baseline
- Developed Moodle-based blended learning modules from scratch
- Led science department in two major curriculum rewrites
8/2009 – 11/2013 Science Teacher, The International School of Minnesota, Eden Prairie, MN
- Chemistry, AP Biology, Adv. Biology, Biotechnology & Society, Biology
- Created and administered Moodle site for science dept. (http://ismscience.org)
- Designed and taught new course, Biotechnology & Society
- Implemented College Board’s AP Biology redesign
Military Service (Army National Guard + Army Reserve)
8/2019 - present Medical Student Officer (00E)
5/2017 – 8/2019 Health Care Specialist (Combat Medic) (68W)
8/2002 – 9/2015 Musician (42R)
Honors and Awards
- Kim Foglia AP Biology Travel Fellowship, National Association of Biology Teachers (2011)
- Award of Recognition, University of Minn. College of Education and Human Development (2010)
- National Science Foundation Noyce Scholarship (2008)
- National Merit Scholarship (2001)
Publications, Presentations, and Creative Work
- Lyman-Buttler, Andrew. "When Learning Moves Online, What Can Be Improved?" The Research-Informed Teaching Revolution North America: A Handbook for the 21st-Century Teacher, edited by Chris Brown, Jane Flood, and Stephen MacGregor. John Catt Education Publishing, January 2022
- Retrieval practice and effective assessment in secondary science: a blended approach. ResearchED Philadelphia, October 2018.
- Using Moodle for student self-assessment of lab work. Chemistry Solutions, May 2018
- Blended assessment through retrieval practice: an equity imperative. Pre-publication; on medium.com
- CompoundIt!: The Chemistry Formula Word Game. 2017. http://bouncycastle.us
- “Patient Zero: The Origin, Risks, and Prevention of Emerging Diseases”. National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University at Buffalo. October 2013
- “Inquiry-Based Activities in Genomics and Population Genetics”. National Association of Biology Teachers Professional Development Conference, Dallas, TX, November 2012
Medical School Extracurriculars
- Interprofessional Student Parent Community board member
- Admissions Ambassador
- Participate in Q&A panels for admissions events
- Serve as point of contact for prospective students, especially non-traditional, re-applicants, parents/caregivers, and military
- Knowledge Cooperative board member
- Created and distributed Anki cards and study outlines for Science of Medical Practice course
- Promoted and coordinated sharing and distribution of other student-developed study materials
- Work with Medical School's Learner Development staff to coordinate faculty and student learning resources
Quality Improvement Projects
- Efficient Integration of Diabetes Management Technology in Patient Care (M Health Fairview QI Collaborative)
- Ain't No Discharge On The Ground: Improving Post-Discharge Primary and Specialty Care Follow-Up Rates (Minneapolis VA Medical Center)
- American Academy of Family Physicians (student member)
- Completed Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO) Provider Course 2022
- Attended National Conference 2022
- American Association of Chemistry Teachers